sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] broken spells in stable-0.60 (Re: Baseline: Enabling rebuild of stable-0.60 chroot)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] broken spells in stable-0.60 (Re: Baseline: Enabling rebuild of stable-0.60 chroot)
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 08:26:52 +0200

Am Wed, 10 Sep 2014 19:03:42 -0500
schrieb Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>:

> Yes. These are the linux related items from my activity log from the last
> rebuild I ran:
>
> 20140908:1911(+0000) summon linux 3.0.0 failure download failed

Could you just do the whole process again (with the downloaded files
out of the way) to verify that it now works.?

I tracked down the failure with mailx in the 0.60 chroot: The Makefile
is incompatible with parallel build. That's why, shortly after chroot
creation, I presume, Stealth did this in BUILD:

make_single &&
make PREFIX="$INSTALL_ROOT/usr" SENDMAIL="$INSTALL_ROOT/usr/sbin/sendmail" &&
make_normal

... it could have saved me some time realizing that earlier (or Stealth
pointing it out after reading very strong indications some posts before
*nudge* *nudge*).

BUT: I see an issue here with sorcery's strategy: It just tries to run
make again with a single job. This fails miserably because the damage
is done by this rule:

config.h LIBS: makeconfig
$(SHELL) ./makeconfig

This runs makeconfig _twice_ at the same time, creating a garbled LIBS,
which is screwing with each instance of makeconfig as they both use it
reading and writing. Sorcery would either need to know that it has to
run `make mrproper` to get a clean start (don't think so), or really
start from scratch. It should start with PRE_BUILD again instead of
just hoping. Thoughts on that? I really would like to see current
sorcery able to rebuild the stable grimoire ... without changing the
grimoire, which we are preparing for.

That leaves wget failing only during rebuild and that seems to be
related to triggering it. The first build seems to work, then comes a
triggered one, then it breaks because it has no OPTS. This must be a
sorcery bug. Any hints? I cannot easily reproduce this, as a normal
cast of openssl and wget just builds wget once. Well, is the bug
already that it is built multiple times during sorcery rebuild?

This is the only hard issue left for me before I can move on to testing
upgrading to test grimoire. I think it is sensible to start with a
working, re-buildable stable chroot. As we discussed before, I guess
I'll cast some Xorg stuff first, too. What is the minimal setup we
strive for there? Should I try xfce4-profile?

Alrighty then,

Thomas