sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Announce] Announcing stable-rc-0.61 (20120517) chroot image release

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>
  • To: Source Mage Discussion <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Announce] Announcing stable-rc-0.61 (20120517) chroot image release
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 00:31:44 -0400

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org> wrote:
> That's why I mentioned the gtx 550 card specifically. The bug is valid for
> every card with the same chipset on it, which are probably more cards.

Just the GF116? or GF11x chipsets? If its the former, that includes
the GT 545 and GTX 550.

> While I agree it seems silly, it might make more sense when you look at it
> this
> way:
> It's quite easy to re-enable it if you know your card is safe, but if it's
> your
> only box you would have no chance of searching for the solution.

Fair enough. A simple warning message may suffice however.

>> Also the redhat bug report you linked to stated that the kernel on
>> their livecd (3.1.0-7.fc16) worked. Using a stable kernel seems like a
>> better idea than using mainline for the stable grimoire.
>
> That's common, for a livecd to work. Quite a few use the basic vesa driver
> instead of card-specific drivers to maximize the amount of supported cards
> while minimizing the amount of drivers on the livecd.
>
> to save you some time searching for examples: opensuse's livecd works (vesa
> driver), linux mint 12 and their debian edition crash hard because they use
> nouveau by default.

In the bug report, NoName replied:
"I confirm that the livecd kernel 3.1.0-7.fc16 works correctly with the livecd
and an installed fc16. All other kernels that i tried (kernels 3.0.x and
kernels 3.2.x upwards) would result in the same problem"

That seems to suggest to me that he/she used the kernel with the
nouveau driver. Its not explicitly stated though, so maybe I'm wrong.