sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Announcing stable-rc-0.61 (20120517) chroot image release

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Announcing stable-rc-0.61 (20120517) chroot image release
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 07:03:51 +0900

Vlad Glagolev (stealth AT sourcemage.org) wrote [12.05.18 06:54]:
> > These images are not basesystem chroots, they are full chroots.
> > Therefore they cannot be used to prepare an ISO. They would possibly be
> > replacements for an ISO (hopefully with sufficient testing, etc.).
>
> These images cannot boot themselves.
> Therefore they cannot be used as replacements for an ISO.
>
> excluding philosophical chit-chat, new installation ISO might be based
> on them + syslinux + required scripts (which are the part of Cauldron)
> for step-by-step installation process. Just try not to focus on a
> "based" word so much.

As you've not experienced producing an ISO, I'll have to simply disagree
and say "no". These are not ISO images. They don't boot, but they could
possibly be used as possession images. They cannot be used for producing
ISOs, as they include way too much.

They only way they could be used in producing a new ISO is by using the
prebuilt spells from these tarballs for preparing the ISO runtime.
However, as these tarballs were produced outside the ISO preparation
process and you haven't published the exact process by which you
produced them, there is no way to know what options the spells were
built with, for what specific CPU/architecture, etc.

If you want to build chroots for the purpose of ISO preparation, please
use the Cauldron scripts to do so. That's why they exist.

Of course I'm not implying these images are worthless. They can be quite
helpful in bootstrapping new systems via a possess-like method -- boot
an existing ISO, whether SMGL or other, and then install this chroot
image for an instant machine. I just don't want people to get confused
that this image is an ISO preparation image, which they could then use
to immediately generate new ISOs.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage