sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Announcing stable-rc-0.61 (20120517) chroot image release

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Announcing stable-rc-0.61 (20120517) chroot image release
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 09:26:03 +0900

Vlad Glagolev (stealth AT sourcemage.org) wrote [12.05.18 08:34]:
> > These are not ISO images.
>
> noone told they're. but theirs contents can be used for producing ISO.
> the contents -- is just spells.

No, they cannot be used for producing ISOs, as I explicitly stated.
There are various reasons for this, some of which I explicitly pointed
out in my previous mail.

> > They only way they could be used in producing a new ISO is by using the
> > prebuilt spells from these tarballs for preparing the ISO runtime.
>
> I just can't imagine any other way of reusing chroot contents for
> building an ISO :)

Because you haven't tried building one yet. :)

An ISO consists of two parts: the ISO runtime itself (what runs when you
boot it), and the "payload" that gets installed to the target
(this is system.tar.bz2 on 0.10). The images you're creating cannot be
directly used for either the payload or the runtime. If you are
interested in producing either payloads or runtimes (or both), please
use the cauldron scripts.

> > for what specific CPU/architecture
>
> both generic. in my 1st email a week ago.

Generic is meaningless for actual production. i486 is meaningful. Are
these i486? i586? ...? Did you build them using --march=native? What
were the CFLAGS in use?

These images are certainly helpful, but if you are serious having them
used for official installs, then you should be much more specific and
explicit about them.

> > If you want to build chroots for the purpose of ISO preparation, please
> > use the Cauldron scripts to do so. That's why they exist.
>
> yes. I'm just talking about contents of chroot images for ISO-creation,
> not about the process itself.

That _is_ the process (part of it). You cannot suggest these images for
ISO creation and pretend that they are separate from ISO creation at the
same time.

TLDR: these images cannot be used for ISO creation, so don't suggest it.
They could be used for possession installs, however (provided you give
more detailed information on specifically how they were produced). If
you are serious about producing ISO content of any form, use the
cauldron scripts.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage