sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Announce] Announcing stable-rc-0.61 (20120517) chroot image release

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>
  • To: Source Mage Discussion <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Announce] Announcing stable-rc-0.61 (20120517) chroot image release
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 18:31:22 -0400

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org> wrote:
> That won't work unless that kernel has nomodeset in CONFIG_CMDLINE or
> nouveau support is disabled completely, in which case the kernel will fall
> back
> to vesa.
> On new nvidia cards the kernel will lock up as soon as the nouveau module is
> loaded.
>
> I suggest we disable nouveau in the kernel for the chroot until the default
> kernel version is > 3.4.x so we at least have the option of giving people a
> warning.

I think you are overreacting. We don't know if every Nvidia card is
affected. It seems silly to me to prevent users from using nouveau if
it works with their card.

Also the redhat bug report you linked to stated that the kernel on
their livecd (3.1.0-7.fc16) worked. Using a stable kernel seems like a
better idea than using mainline for the stable grimoire.