sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Announce] Announcing stable-rc-0.61 (20120517) chroot image release

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Source Mage Discussion <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Announce] Announcing stable-rc-0.61 (20120517) chroot image release
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 00:48:39 +0200

On Thu, 17 May 2012 18:31:22 -0400
Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you are overreacting. We don't know if every Nvidia card is
> affected. It seems silly to me to prevent users from using nouveau if
> it works with their card.

That's why I mentioned the gtx 550 card specifically. The bug is valid for
every card with the same chipset on it, which are probably more cards.

While I agree it seems silly, it might make more sense when you look at it
this
way:
It's quite easy to re-enable it if you know your card is safe, but if it's
your
only box you would have no chance of searching for the solution.

> Also the redhat bug report you linked to stated that the kernel on
> their livecd (3.1.0-7.fc16) worked. Using a stable kernel seems like a
> better idea than using mainline for the stable grimoire.

That's common, for a livecd to work. Quite a few use the basic vesa driver
instead of card-specific drivers to maximize the amount of supported cards
while minimizing the amount of drivers on the livecd.

to save you some time searching for examples: opensuse's livecd works (vesa
driver), linux mint 12 and their debian edition crash hard because they use
nouveau by default.

Arjan Bouter

Source Mage GNU/Linux developer,
http://www.sourcemage.org