sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Announce] Announcing stable-rc-0.61 (20120517) chroot image release

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: sm-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org, Source Mage Discussion <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Announce] Announcing stable-rc-0.61 (20120517) chroot image release
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 00:10:35 +0200

On Fri, 18 May 2012 01:49:07 +0400
Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT sourcemage.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 May 2012 22:55:38 +0200
> Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 18 May 2012 00:37:45 +0400
> > Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT sourcemage.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hey there,
> > >
> > > We're coming closer to the stable-0.61 Grimoire release, so here's some
> > > middle-work, that helps us to test 0.60 -> 0.61 upgrade process.
> > >
> > > This release has a lot of updates (since it's based on stable-rc 0.61
> > > Grimoire, which was renewed and cut a week ago) as well as Kernel update
> > > to 3.0.31.
> > >
> > > The most visible changes:
> > >
> > > * GCC 4.6.3
> > > * Kernel 3.0.31 (latest LTS)
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > Thanks for working on the new stable release.
> >
> > But we might want to consider using the mainline kernel (3.4-rc7 at the
> > moment).
>
> I'm not sure that placing a very recent kernel for the basic
> stable chroots is a good idea. Kernel is still the biggest part of the
> system now, and is very critical to specific stuff.

I agree the kernel is important, obviously, but it won't leave a good
impression if our stable tarball's kernel locks up on specific hw.

> But I agree, we need to resolve this. In my opinion by adding an
> option: these kernel versions must be in test, then we cherry-pick
> patches into stable and roll out chroot/ISO along with some notice or
> even warning in /etc/motd (for example) for those owning such cards to
> cast -r linux and select version not below than X.Y.Z-rcW.

That won't work unless that kernel has nomodeset in CONFIG_CMDLINE or
nouveau support is disabled completely, in which case the kernel will fall
back
to vesa.
On new nvidia cards the kernel will lock up as soon as the nouveau module is
loaded.

I suggest we disable nouveau in the kernel for the chroot until the default
kernel version is > 3.4.x so we at least have the option of giving people a
warning.

Arjan Bouter

Source Mage GNU/Linux developer,
http://www.sourcemage.org