sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Daniel Goller <dgoller AT satx.rr.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 20:43:52 -0600

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 06:17:54 +0500
Pol Vinogradov <vin.public AT gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 15:59:30 -0800
> seth AT swoolley.homeip.net wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry, but I don't see why we just can't integrate request what you
> > have in your custom grimoire that's really stable for you. Custom
> > grimoires are ok for testing development, but not for our stable
> > grimoire. If you're dong systematic development that requires the whole
> > system be modified (like iso work), custom grimoires are expected. But
> > we should have one exposed grimoire that everything works on. Not a
> > smaller grimoire, just a stable one. C.F. my bugzilla improvement and
> > gaze integration idea for how to make it more open to bug fixing.
> >
> just imho the main problem of our stable grimoire is small number of
> integrations. people don't like them much. it's really counterproductive
> thing (espescially in git). so, i propose again needs specific grimoires
> concept. all in one grimoire is very hard to maintain. splitted grimoires
> can be maintained by one dev or small team which isn't tied to one grimoire
> only.
> > Seth
>
> public

Nothing keeps a group of developers from maintaining a particular section of
spells as it is.
Having one grimoire ensures, the users have everything they need.
I know, you will tell afrayedknot he needs a new spell variable GRIMOIRE that
will make the spells pull in any other grimoires that has spells they depend
on.
Take a step back, how would you ensure the users have what they need?
(Exclusion of z-rejected has it's merit certainly.)
All we need is ONE collection of all spells for the users. and of that
several levels of stability, just like we have right now.
You can then pick a section of that to be yours, and you can find devs who
take care of that section with you.
There is no need to think since we only have one whole grimoire you are
obligated to only work on general bugs w/o ever specializing your area of
work.

Bottom line is, i don't understand what you try to solve, i only know you try
to solve something.

Daniel