sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 10:23:14 +0100

Am Thu, 4 Jan 2007 22:04:21 -0800
schrieb Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>:

> I'd like to get started, rather than talking about it. I have some ideas
> on how to make things more obvious and streamlined than they were in
> the past, while staying true to the overall process.

Agreed. I already said that I am missing the experience of a working
release cycle, and my questions made it obvious that the process was
(is?) not clear to me.
I see now that the idea of snapping test to stable-rc in certain
intervals, fixing stable-rc (or normally the important spells of
stable-rc in test and integrate the fix) without interrupting ppl
working on important "side projects" (p.ex. make spells xorg-modular
compatible) for test only, is good and about the minimal sensible one
to try to get stable relases.
IMHO we really can take some more organization on that (p.ex. a
releasebot on IRC that after some time of uncoordinated chatter throws
in something to fix in stable-rc;-), or at least some attempt to
involve everyone.
The process is not complicated, it has just to be put in front of
things. Wiki, Website, IRC topic, ML ... they should communicate the
main smgl process, which is getting better stable grimoires, ISOs and
sorcery.

> Heres the list of basesystem spells:
>
> basesystem bash binutils bison bzip2 console-tools console-data coreutils
> cpio dialog diffutils e2fsprogs file findutils flex gawk gcc gettext glibc
> gnupg grep grub gzip iana-etc init.d installwatch less lilo locale kbd
> m4 make mktemp module-init-tools nano ncurses netconf net-tools patch
> perl procps readline sed shadow simpleinit-msb smgl-archspecs smgl-fhs
> tar texinfo udev unzip util-linux wget zlib
>
> I included both possibilities for bootloaders and console-tools and also

Hm, so we have a foxus on x86, right? Because
bash-3.1$ gaze provides BOOTLOADER
BOOTLOADER:
aboot
grub
lilo
silo
yaboot

At least yaboot is reality because there is a ppc iso (I used it).
I can take responsibility for aboot (since I made the spell and am the
only user;-). But aboot is not in stable-rc yet and I'd prepare an ISO
before calling it official.

> added udev. If someone wants to double check it, that'd be great.

OK, openssh is a must. I have boxen that I can do nothing on when not
accessing via ssh. Looking at openssh deps, linux-pam shows up. For
someone using this for system auth, it is _very_ basic.
I know this someone and installed smgl on an imac box for his
environment;-)
I am no expert in pam myself, but I really hope to get that guy into
our boat since he is a crack on PAM/LDAP (using LDAP for nearly
everything). Then, I could add nfs-utils... basically all basesystem
deps. Well, but then the list grows again.
The overall idea is that stuff works in principle anyway (because it's
hopeless otherwise). A new stable should have working KDE for most ppl.
But we cannot ensure bug-freeness.

so I add:

openssh
linux-pam

> I'd like to take "tor" and "gdb" as my spells. I like and use both of them

OK, I am involved in smgl-archspecs (we are very close to 0.7). I have
aboot, what doesn't count yet.
I think it makes sense when I take "nurseship" for spells that are for
software that I write/maintain:

mpg123
dermixd
buntstift
textdata
param

I may add gnuplot if nobody else cares, since it is _very_ basic for my
work and there may be a future where I could install stable on my
workstation... But I don't want to be too greedy here;-)

> Maybe a good subsequent step would be to start a wiki page with a table
> containing the list of spells, for each spell the volunteer for this
> cycle, and if they have "signed-off" yet.

Yes, we need a picture of the process, some summary. One page with all
the important spells and the ready/not-ready flag.
This page should be linked fro the main website. People should see how
far the progress is to next stable.

Then, let's get that stable-0.6 out and start the next cycle with a
real schedule that is fulfilled (a month, two?).

Alrighty then,

Thomas.