sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 18:34:58 +0100

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 08:54:56AM -0800, Andrew wrote:

<snip>

> The release cycles we've tried, the only person helping fix spells was
> usually seth. Nobody else. That made it difficult to have the bugs fixed
> in all the spells we wanted. Also, I cant speak for seth, but I imagine
> its frustrating trying to fix tons of bugs in the grimoire with no one
> helping and most people version bumping spells left and right.

you know most of the bugs I had in ftp section were posted against
stable or stable-rc, and they were not version bumps. So I fixed a few
of them in test, and requested for integration in stable-rc and stable,
wasn't that how we were supposed to work?

> So, if we try the process again with a few more volunteers, and a more
> realistic list of spells, we can get a new stable out in short order.
>
> I suggest for the next round, basesystem spells only. We can make sure all
> those spells work pretty easily. You can build all of them in a few hours.
> I modified all of them for install-root a year or so ago in an evening.
> I think its do-able. Of course if init.d isnt working, we need to either
> fix it, or back it out.

> The process will work, but we have to give it a chance, theres only one
> way to do that, which is to do the work.

Fair enough. Narrowing the problem to a bunch of spells (the basesystem
ones) is another way to decrease the workload, it indeed can work imho.
But as Thomas said, ppl tend to work more if you point them to the exact
task to do. For example, a mail to the list with:
"Please ppl, work on those bugs:
<insert list of bugs here>
"
would be great.

Cheers,
Mathieu.

--
GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net:

KeyID: | Fingerprint:
683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3