sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Let's make Source Mage not suck!
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 11:00:16 +0100

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 10:05:47AM -0800, Andrew wrote:

<snip>

> Bottom line. If you want a stable grimoire. Fix the bugs.
> If you want a new stable release, Fix the bugs in the core spells. Help
> with the release process. Run the stable grimoire, if theres a problem
> in a spell you use, fix it. Changing around our process in arbitrary
> whimsical ways is not going to fix anything.

I agree with all the stuff above. However here's another bottom line
where I think Thomas is right: we simply are not enough ppl (fixing
bugs) for this process to work properly at the moment.
I realize the stable-rc stage is a necessary step to ensure a minimal
quality, but it seems to me that we (not pointing at anyone, except
maybe me) don't work hard enough to achieve that anyway.

I just don't believe we will magically drastically increase our workload
in the next weeks/months, and thus the stable-rc system will continue to
sit around, killing its purpose.
I like this system in theory and I think that's how we should work too,
but the point is we don't.

And I'm not suggesting we spend again countless mails discussing on that
to design a new workflow because you're totally right in that it would
be useless. Especially because we certainly don't want/need another more
complex system like splitting again grimoires and such.

So yeah, maybe temporarily dropping stable-rc grimoire, until we have
enough ppl willing to work harder, would be the way to go if we want to
have stable releases. Even if that means letting the current gatekeepers
handpick only the few fixes they judge critical to be integrated in
stable.

Just my 2 cents.
Mathieu.

--
GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net:

KeyID: | Fingerprint:
683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3