sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Status of gcc 4.1

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Status of gcc 4.1
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 01:01:41 +0100

> Regarding the comparison between opensuse and sourcemage's gcc versions:
>

> Binary distros don't need to "test" their gcc is thoroughly as we have to
>
> given that every package needs to be compiled.
>

> If a package from a binary distro has issues with one gcc they can use
>
> a different gcc for just that package and nobody will notice.

Yea, of course.
But our approach is the same:
"If a package from our distro has issues with one gcc we use

a different gcc for just that package and nobody will notice."
We just need to test all packages and set GCC_VERSION appropriate.
I have no problem with several gcc versions installed.
As I wrote I would appreciate if sorcery could automatically use the
newer gcc and if there are problems sorcery could use older one and
inform about used gcc version.
And of course new gcc can't be tested thoroughly if it isn't embraced in
test grimoire.

--
Ladislav Hagara