sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire for deprecated spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire for deprecated spells
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:00:15 +0200

Bearcat M. Sandor wrote :

> > I'm in favor of it, however I think we should define an accurate list of
> > criteria for moving spells in it. Also we could define a procedure to
> > grant moving of spells in this grimoire, in order to avoid abuse.
> > Maintainers should not for example reject spells from their section just
> > because they don't use it.
> > --
> > Flavien Bridault
>
> Right otherwise gnome and kde would be in and out of there all the time :P
>
> There is a command line app that will parse the urls in text files and
> report which ones are dead. This might make a pretty good first pass. I
> know that gramofile (which i tried to install the otherday) would fail
> that one. That project is definatly dead.
>
> What about projects that are dead but still used? The 0.8 series of
> gstreamer is dead, but still used by quite a few apps. Arts falls under
> this catagory too.
>
> Bearcat M. Sandor

This would be for spells that:
a) don't have upstream support(this is basicaly a must)
b) fail to build, relevant to point a
c) bitrotten stuff, relevant to point a
d) fail to run properly even if they run, relevant to point a
e) are simply not used anylonger(I think gnome1 fits in here)

In games grimoire there is a section games-unmaintained among those
spells are spells that fit the first 4 points. The last point is mostly
for stuff that's really really old and that almost nobody uses(hence
moved to deprecated so that if anyone still wants it can get it)

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html
Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Key id = A7A9E461
Key fingerprint = 757E C16B F5B7 DC27 B003 CCED CF95 3A77 A7A9 E461