sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] restricting access to important spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] restricting access to important spells
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:20:27 -0700

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 05:57:55PM +0200, Arjan Bouter wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:24:22 -0700
> Andrew Stitt <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com> wrote:
>
> > I agree that inexperienced gurus should not be working on core spells such
> > as ncurses, or shadow (as examples). Enforcing that through technology as
> > a first step would be a mistake. I think restrictions are better handled
> > by a social layer. For example, make it more clear to new gurus "do not
> > mess with base spells directly in test, no matter how trivial your
> > changes".
>
> Catching this with a social layer would require these spells to be clearly
> marked as being special.
>
> On IRC I said I'd volunteer as maintainer of the linux-pam spell, would
> just adding a MAINTAINER= line to the DETAILS file be enough to warn people
> that they shouldn't "mess with it" as you put it?

I meant more on a broader scale.

We tell people, do not mess with important spells if you dont know what
you're doing or intend to test them well. Use common sense, test spells,
if you can't, use devel, thats why we have it (Im sure someone will
respond that they thought we got rid of devel). If they're core spells
(if we have to make a list of these or mark them as such then so be it,
although I'd be disappointed if we really needed to resort to that),
test them well, or push them to devel so others can. I agree with Jeremy
if they fail to do that repeatedly, *then* we remove their access. I
too dont care who it is, what they do for us, even if its me.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |