sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] restricting access to important spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <vlaaad AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] restricting access to important spells
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:08:27 +0200

Le jeudi 13 juillet 2006 à 17:57 +0200, Arjan Bouter a écrit :

> On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:24:22 -0700
> Andrew Stitt <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 11:39:16AM +0200, Arjan Bouter wrote:
> > >
> > > In the last couple of weeks it happened a few times that important
> > > spells like linux-pam and shadow got broken by updated spells. Needless
> > > to say it's annoying when I've got to fix a spell just to be allowed
> > > access to my own box...
> > >
> > > Mathieu (lejatorn) and I were talking on #sourcemage about restricting
> > > access to certain important spells to
> > > component leads and a few selected devs chosen by those leads.
> > > We think anything related to boot/login should get on that list of
> > > spells.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts on this?
> > >

> > Why wasn't this caught through the smcommits review mailing list? (Im
> > asking somewhat rhetorically).
> >
> > I agree that inexperienced gurus should not be working on core spells such
> > as ncurses, or shadow (as examples). Enforcing that through technology as
> > a first step would be a mistake. I think restrictions are better handled
> > by a social layer. For example, make it more clear to new gurus "do not
> > mess with base spells directly in test, no matter how trivial your
> > changes".
>
> Catching this with a social layer would require these spells to be clearly
> marked as being special.
>
> On IRC I said I'd volunteer as maintainer of the linux-pam spell, would
> just adding a MAINTAINER= line to the DETAILS file be enough to warn people
> that they shouldn't "mess with it" as you put it?

Let me laugh... ;-)
Except few people, most general developers do what they want with spells
even if there is a maintainer... I even remember a change you did on
udev a long time agon, and that made me very angry. No grudge of
course ;-)
And imho this is not going to be better as we have often new general
gurus and less and less section gurus. This is "slightly" off-topic, but
is a new grimoire layout is still planned ? That would allow us to
affect spells to given developers and to remove those big sections that
frighten all the new developers... And then we could "simply" restrict
access to spells on the maintainer(s) and bring responsibility.

Sorry for speaking once again about that... ;-)