sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] restricting access to important spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] restricting access to important spells
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 21:39:48 +0200

Howdy my infallible colleagues, :-)

firstly - I am PROUD we have UP-TO-DATE last linux-pam in test grimoire and I am very GLAD I could help with it.
Linux-pam was not updated in test grimoire more then year.
BTW, we had in test grimoire (now in stable) version 0.79 and look into history who updated it. :-)

The main problem was with WIP in devel linux-pam:
2005-05-24 David Brown <dmlb2000 AT excite.com>
The selinux stuff shouldn't be integrated to test yet until we know it will
work

Probably all developers were only waiting until we know..., and because almost nobody really used devel girmoire (we had stopped providing it to our users) all developers were only WAITING.
BTW, I always was against we stopped providing of devel grimoire. :-)

There is a mail from Arwed from Sat Jun 10 2006 [1] asking us to test and integrate linux-pam to test grimoire.
... (David Brown, Ladislav Hagara, Sergey Lipnevich, whoever else feels like helping) ...
so I started working on it. It was on Thu Jun 29 2006 [2]. More than 3 weeks after Arwed asked it. :-(
I am very sorry I was busy those 3 weeks but whoever could start working on it.

Of course I TESTED it and it really WORKED for me [3]. I have NEVER submitted change to test grimoire before I really tested it.
Why if you had problem you did not write about that to sm-commit list?
How many users had this problem?
I read NOW for the first time you had some problem.

Arjan, why did not you discuss it and submitted your changes [4]? You really did not write about problems you had.
BTW, I reply to your commit to sm-commit list [5] and asked several questions. Still no answers. :-(
What about for example question/fact:

> +config_query PAM_SECTTY "Install a default /etc/securetty?" n &&
If user cast linux-pam for the first time with default answer (*n*)
he/she will not be able to login on console (no /etc/securetty). :-(

And some comments to this topic.
I am really against of restricting access to test grimoire.
It is a TEST grimoire. We had only a few active developers and you want to ban them from helping Source Mage.
Moreover, do you really want ME to stop helping with developing of Source Mage? Impossible. :-)

Test grimoire should be open for all voluntaries (of course there are exceptions if somebody INTENTIONALLY vandalize).
And we all have to be replaceable. Please NO spells with only acces to one SUPERdeveloper.
People are coming and leaving (SUPERdevelopers too) but the Source Mage GNU/Linux will be here forever. :-)

[1] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2006-June/014746.html
[2] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-commit/2006-June/004360.html
[3] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-commit/2006-June/004367.html
[4] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-commit/2006-June/004403.html