sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] restricting access to important spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew Stitt <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] restricting access to important spells
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:24:22 -0700

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 11:39:16AM +0200, Arjan Bouter wrote:

> In the last couple of weeks it happened a few times that important spells
> like linux-pam and shadow got broken by updated spells. Needless to say
> it's annoying when I've got to fix a spell just to be allowed access to my
> own box...
>
> Mathieu (lejatorn) and I were talking on #sourcemage about restricting
> access to certain important spells to
> component leads and a few selected devs chosen by those leads.
> We think anything related to boot/login should get on that list of spells.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Why wasn't this caught through the smcommits review mailing list? (Im
asking somewhat rhetorically).

I agree that inexperienced gurus should not be working on core spells such
as ncurses, or shadow (as examples). Enforcing that through technology as
a first step would be a mistake. I think restrictions are better handled by a
social layer. For example, make it more clear to new gurus "do not mess with
base spells directly in test, no matter how trivial your changes".

We can always spend more time reviewing changes. maybe make it easier to
filter emails based on where the changes occurred. So those of us with
less time to review everything can find the important stuff more easily.

Another approach, maybe for down the road, is to have more of a
distributed hierarchical development structure akin to the linux kernel
community. We sort of have that with the apprentice program, but haven't
reached a big enough mass for that to be the norm.

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |