sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] restricting access to important spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] restricting access to important spells
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:38:09 -0500

On Jul 13, Arjan Bouter [abouter AT sourcemage.org] wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:19:39 -0500
> Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org> wrote:
> > Test is expected to break, and break horribly from time to time. But
> > people are REQUIRED to test their changes before putting them in test. If
> > they don't do this they don't keep access.
>
> I was under the impression that test was a buffer to make sure stable
> works.

It certainly is that. The standard for things being in test is "it works
for the person who committed it, but not necessarily anyone else". If
people are making changes that they expect might break for other people
they are supposed to do a WIP branch before it goes to test so it can get
some broader testing, but some of those things can't be predicted, which is
why test is there to break instead of stable.

> I do expect a certain amount of spells to break every now and
> then. But as Mathieu pointed out in his reply, the spells that a dev
> knows can break a box horribly are usually left alone by people who
> aren't too comfortable with these spells. Just common sense IMHO.

Let's be clear that it appears we've tracked this change down to someone
who was not at all a newbie or someone we don't usually consider
responsible with these kind of changes. Lace has *stable* access and has
quite legitimate claim to being the/a pam maintainer since he's a security
guru, he's no newbie or questionable person. A change requiring only
"experienced people" to make changes to things like pam wouldn't have
avoided this issue in the least.

So let's give him a chance to say what happened and learn from *that*, not
a theoretical "an inexperienced person broke something critical" that
doesn't appear to have happened.