sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] process for getting bugfixes and security updates into stable grimoire

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] process for getting bugfixes and security updates into stable grimoire
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 16:59:53 -0500

On May 07, Flavien Bridault [vlaaad AT sourcemage.org] wrote:
> Thank you for your answer, this is more or less what I thought. I rather
> agree with that, but the only point that scares me is that it seems a
> *huge* work to do for few people ! Say if I'm wrong, but only Eric,
> Arwed and you have such an access to stable-rc/stable ? Eric and Arwed
> already have a lot of work with their PL/TL work and all the hard work
> they do in devel/test. I wonder if this is not dangerous at some point
> to only rely on three developers, and exclude all the others.

I can stand in for Eric when necessary (and did this morning when there was
an xorg security patch and only Arwed was around, and it was his patch).
Really not a lot of work is required, just someone to say "yes, this is a
security or brokenness fix to bother stable users with, and the fix is
complete and works". For the fix this morning it was obviously a security
update so I just made sure xorg compiled and ran with the patch and then
approved it.

Arwed did say that we need a few more people to do this, though; I'm not
sure what his criteria are.

> Moreover, I don't understand (but I should have missed those
> discussions, please excuse me... :-/ ) what you consider to integrate a
> new version of a spell in stable-rc ? Before it was every month (and
> that was very bad ;-) ), but now ? I have sometimes even some
> difficulties to follow the changes on udev in the disk section because
> many people play with it (and I thank them for their help... :-) ). But
> I really wish you a lot of will the next time you will have to integrate
> it in stable-rc with all the new rules ! So how do you deal with that ?
> Or is it my responsibility as a maintainer to fill a bug to request the
> integration ? Excuse me if I ask obvious things but I'm quite
> confused... :-/

Things only go to existing stable-rc or stable when they are security fixes
or the spell won't compile in a supported configuration without the fix.
stable-rc is promoted wholesale to stable when the Grimoire team decides
it's "ready". When stable-rc is promoted to stable, a snapshot of the
existing test grimoire is taken and becomes the new stable-rc.

We would all like to see stable-rc promoted to stable more often. Progress
is being made on this; now that prometheus is running again we have a good
idea what bugs need to be fixed to make stable-rc stable. Arwed and Seth,
can you possibly provide a time line you're targetting for stable 0.4?