sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] process for getting bugfixes and security updates into stable grimoire

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] process for getting bugfixes and security updates into stable grimoire
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 13:35:47 -0500

On May 05, Arwed von Merkatz [v.merkatz AT gmx.net] wrote:
> as the process of how to get fixes into stable(-rc) grimoire apparently
> isn't clear to everyone, here's how I think the process should be.
> This is mostly a draft to get comments, but we definitely need some
> policy like this to ensure stable is as stable as we can get it.
> This isn't really anything new, just a clarification of how the process
> is supposed to work, extending it to security updates.
>
> - a new flag "integrate to stable-rc" will get added to bugzilla
> - bugs get filed against the highest grimoire in the stability range
> that they apply to, i.e. first to stable, then stable-rc, then test

I like this clarification, as I haven't been sure on it before. Can we add
something about how the fixed/verified/closed flags are to be used? I
think we have coommon practice of closing things when they reach the
grimoire they were filed against, but I'm not sure that's written down.

> - bugs get fixed _only_ in test grimoire as usual
> - once they're fixed in test, the "fixed in lesser branch" flag is set
> to "+", and the "integrate to $BRANCH" flags are set to "?" for the
> branches they apply to
> - one of the gatekeepers (currently Eric Sandall, Seth Woolley and
> myself) approves or denies the request(s) for integration, if it's
> denied, an explanation of the reasons is added to the bug

Is the APL included in that like I am for other stuff Eric does? I'm
asking because I don't know... FWIW I don't really want to be a gatekeeper
but will do it if required when none of the rest of you are available for
some reason and it's something that can't wait for you.

> - once the request is approved (flag set to "+"), it can be integrated
> to the branch for which it was approved, currently that integration
> can be done by anyone with access to those grimoires

I know we have an 'integrated to stable' flag as well, which I believe is
to be set by whoever does the integration, correct? Will we have one of
those for 'integrated to stable-rc' as well?