sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] minimize global effects in CONFIGURE and DEPENDS (Was: Using dialog for the net-conf spell)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: Seth Woolley <swoolley AT panasas.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] minimize global effects in CONFIGURE and DEPENDS (Was: Using dialog for the net-conf spell)
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 07:31:32 -0500

I was thinking something about this a bit earlier. Mostly because I find
it really annoying to make one mistake and have to restart everything
again.

An API could be developed to seperate the backend from the front end.
It's not a small task, however. It would require changing the way things
worked. config_query wouldn't ask the question, but would instead return
the pieces needed to build the question, the answers, and a short
description. Then those would be given to the front end, whatever front
end library we've written, and it would formulate the question. Whether
the frontend be the same thing we've got now, or a dialog, or a gui.
Same thing would have to happen for most of the stuff in configure.

It's not a small task, and I've not quite had enough time to think about
it. Optional_depends really throw the process a bit because they can
change the dependency tree completely.

Anyways, I think that's more of an ideal solution than simply catering
to dialog. It also requires the most work....

--
David Kowis

ISO Team Lead - www.sourcemage.org
Source Mage GNU/Linux

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein

- Arthur C. Clarke