sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] minimize global effects in CONFIGURE and DEPENDS (Was: Using dialog for the net-conf spell)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Woolley <swoolley AT panasas.com>
  • To: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] minimize global effects in CONFIGURE and DEPENDS (Was: Using dialog for the net-conf spell)
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:19:37 -0700

Andrew wrote:
On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 04:33:12PM -0700, Seth Woolley wrote:

Matthew Clark wrote:

I recently began trying to improve the net-tools spell by replacing that
long list of questions with a dialog.

This breaks prometheus' ability to fuzz options easily. Is there a way to make your changes optional? I think rather than fixing this problem for one spell we should discuss the CONFIGURE (and DEPENDS) formats in the context of allowing alternative prompts and even the ability to use a make-menuconfig-style menu.

You can override the dialog tool within prometheus' environment such
that it returns randomized answers. You dont actually have to use expect
on top for everything. When I started on it, that was a problem I didnt
think was important to solve. What happens now is it breaks dialog and
so the defaults get chosen whenever theres a menu.

That's the precise problem I wanted to solve, plus we can add additional non-serial interfaces such as the dialog-based config grimoire-wide with minimal effort.

I've thrown around the idea of having it grok multi-select-style dialog boxes and throw a random config at it, which is what I will do when everything else works in prometheus and I don't have something akin to my proposal.

Its not a huge deal
so long as the spell understands that dialog exited immediatly and goes
with defaults.

Which may be a problem, in itself, but also minor -- prometheus can be made to understand this failure (which could happen in a user environment as well).

Seth
--
Seth Alan Woolley
Software Engineer