sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] minimize global effects in CONFIGURE and DEPENDS (Was: Using dialog for the net-conf spell)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] minimize global effects in CONFIGURE and DEPENDS (Was: Using dialog for the net-conf spell)
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:50:38 -0700

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 04:33:12PM -0700, Seth Woolley wrote:
> Matthew Clark wrote:
> > I recently began trying to improve the net-tools spell by replacing that
> > long list of questions with a dialog.
>
> This breaks prometheus' ability to fuzz options easily. Is there a way
> to make your changes optional? I think rather than fixing this problem
> for one spell we should discuss the CONFIGURE (and DEPENDS) formats in
> the context of allowing alternative prompts and even the ability to use
> a make-menuconfig-style menu.

You can override the dialog tool within prometheus' environment such
that it returns randomized answers. You dont actually have to use expect
on top for everything. When I started on it, that was a problem I didnt
think was important to solve. What happens now is it breaks dialog and
so the defaults get chosen whenever theres a menu. Its not a huge deal
so long as the spell understands that dialog exited immediatly and goes
with defaults.

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |