sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Starting and Stopping critical services when upgrades happen

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Brown <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Starting and Stopping critical services when upgrades happen
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:04:57 -0700

I mentioned the patches we do to the udev spell to linux-hotplug-devel
and he mentioned some things of importance. I mentioned why the patch
was needed in several parts...
This is what he said about removing the killall udevd call that we
patch out of the makefile.

<snip>
> 1) no package to start or stop services in the process of installing
> the package... hence the removal of the killall udevd && udevd
> --daemon call

So you install a new version of udev and don't kill the old udevd
program? That's not good at all. Remember, if you set DEST_DIR, that
doesn't get called. That is there to allow you to build and not mess
with any running services (as is needed on rpm and deb build machines.)
</snip>

I was wondering what our official position is on starting and stopping
critical services on spell upgrades...

- David Brown