sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] GPG keyring storage ?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GPG keyring storage ?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:18:22 -0700

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 07:54:26AM -0700, Andrew wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 04:46:42PM +0200, Flavien Bridault wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Now that I become to understand the GPG checking process for spells, I
> > noticed, if I understood well ;-), that you have to include a keyring in
> > the spell when using a vendor key. That means, referring to a real
> > example, that there is a kernel.gpg keyring in the udev spell and the
> > same kernel.gpg keyring in the linux spell.
> > Is it not a big problem in the design ? For me, anything redundant is
> > bad, and as I heard on IRC "Yes we should resolve that later", I rather
> > like to point out this now, in order to avoid later mass changes of
> > spells using GPG checking.
> >
> > If I'm right (that's finally the question), I will obviously post a
> > bug. ;-)
> >

> You can keep the key in the spell directory, parent section, or the base
> grimoire directory. The code will look in each location in that order
> for the file listed in $SOURCE_GPG.
>
> Guru signed spells, for example, use the common gurus.gpg file at the
> base of the grimoire. No extra work is needed for the code to find
> it there.
>
> In the kernel.gpg case, since the udev spell is in the disk section, and
> the linux spell is in the kernel section, we'd just have the kernel.gpg
> key in the grimoire base (or move the udev spell, and put the key in
> the kernel section).

As an aside, in case anybody gets the fancy idea of doing
../../kernels/linux/kernel.gpg or using an absolute path, yeah, it will
work except it's not compatible with tablet or scribbler, both of which
are only aware of the parent (section) and grandparent (grimoire)
directories from the spell directory. So we won't be doing any fancy
relative file locations like that.

Seth

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Secretary Pacific Green Party of Oregon http://www.pacificgreens.org
Key id FDCEE733 = 5302 B414 64C4 6112 3454 E082 99F0 69DC FDCE E733