sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Starting and Stopping critical services when upgrades happen

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: David Brown <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Starting and Stopping critical services when upgrades happen
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:25:56 -0700

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 09:04:57AM -0700, David Brown wrote:
> I mentioned the patches we do to the udev spell to linux-hotplug-devel
> and he mentioned some things of importance. I mentioned why the patch
> was needed in several parts...
> This is what he said about removing the killall udevd call that we
> patch out of the makefile.
>
> <snip>
> > 1) no package to start or stop services in the process of installing
> > the package... hence the removal of the killall udevd && udevd
> > --daemon call
>
> So you install a new version of udev and don't kill the old udevd
> program? That's not good at all. Remember, if you set DEST_DIR, that
> doesn't get called. That is there to allow you to build and not mess
> with any running services (as is needed on rpm and deb build machines.)
> </snip>
>
> I was wondering what our official position is on starting and stopping
> critical services on spell upgrades...

Our official position is not to stop and restart services.

However, that was because some people didn't want services stopped and
restarted.

We could include an option in sorcery to toggle this effect that can be
a general default and a per-spell query during init script installation
-- sorcery can handle the starting and stopping if that's the case as
long as telinit run blah restart is supported.

I'm beginning to think perhaps udev should have an init script so we can
do stuff like this, instead of being an exception.

Seth

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Secretary Pacific Green Party of Oregon http://www.pacificgreens.org
Key id FDCEE733 = 5302 B414 64C4 6112 3454 E082 99F0 69DC FDCE E733