sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] GPG keyring storage ?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <f.bridault AT fra.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GPG keyring storage ?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:37:08 +0200

Le jeudi 18 août 2005 à 07:54 -0700, Andrew a écrit :
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 04:46:42PM +0200, Flavien Bridault wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Now that I become to understand the GPG checking process for spells, I
> > noticed, if I understood well ;-), that you have to include a keyring in
> > the spell when using a vendor key. That means, referring to a real
> > example, that there is a kernel.gpg keyring in the udev spell and the
> > same kernel.gpg keyring in the linux spell.
> > Is it not a big problem in the design ? For me, anything redundant is
> > bad, and as I heard on IRC "Yes we should resolve that later", I rather
> > like to point out this now, in order to avoid later mass changes of
> > spells using GPG checking.
> >
> > If I'm right (that's finally the question), I will obviously post a
> > bug. ;-)
> >

> You can keep the key in the spell directory, parent section, or the base
> grimoire directory. The code will look in each location in that order
> for the file listed in $SOURCE_GPG.
>
> Guru signed spells, for example, use the common gurus.gpg file at the
> base of the grimoire. No extra work is needed for the code to find
> it there.
>
> In the kernel.gpg case, since the udev spell is in the disk section, and
> the linux spell is in the kernel section, we'd just have the kernel.gpg
> key in the grimoire base (or move the udev spell, and put the key in
> the kernel section).

It's been a long time I think udev has nothing to do in disk section. I
believe it could be the right time to move it to kernel section (I was
waiting for the big change of the grimoire layout, but it is not yet for
now...).
It's anyway painful to maintain in disk section since too much people
want to deal with it. And it is definitively more related to kernel
stuff than disk.

BTW, devfsd could also be moved.