sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Starting and Stopping critical services when upgrades happen

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: David Brown <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>, sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Starting and Stopping critical services when upgrades happen
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:56:57 -0700

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 09:25:56AM -0700, Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 09:04:57AM -0700, David Brown wrote:
> > I mentioned the patches we do to the udev spell to linux-hotplug-devel
> > and he mentioned some things of importance. I mentioned why the patch
> > was needed in several parts...
> > This is what he said about removing the killall udevd call that we
> > patch out of the makefile.
> >
> > <snip>
> > > 1) no package to start or stop services in the process of installing
> > > the package... hence the removal of the killall udevd && udevd
> > > --daemon call
> >
> > So you install a new version of udev and don't kill the old udevd
> > program? That's not good at all. Remember, if you set DEST_DIR, that
> > doesn't get called. That is there to allow you to build and not mess
> > with any running services (as is needed on rpm and deb build machines.)
> > </snip>
> >
> > I was wondering what our official position is on starting and stopping
> > critical services on spell upgrades...
>
> Our official position is not to stop and restart services.
>
> However, that was because some people didn't want services stopped and
> restarted.
>
> We could include an option in sorcery to toggle this effect that can be
> a general default and a per-spell query during init script installation
> -- sorcery can handle the starting and stopping if that's the case as
> long as telinit run blah restart is supported.
>
> I'm beginning to think perhaps udev should have an init script so we can
> do stuff like this, instead of being an exception.

We can have the general defaults be:

1. Never Restart
2. Don't Restart unless spell hints restart is safe <-- default
3. Restart unless spell hints restart is unsafe
4. Always Restart

Hint policy: if it breaks both on restarting and not restarting, default
to not restart.

init scripts could have:
UPGRADE_SAFE="yes" to hint that restarting is ok (won't restart under option
1)
UPGRADE_SAFE="no" to hint restarting is not ok (will restart under option 4)
UPGRADE_SAFE undefined hints that restarting is going to be assumed to be not
ok under option 2 (default), ok under option 3.

Of course per-spell/during-configure selection would override this behavior.

I assume that takes care of most anybody's concerns (besides it being
"more work"/"too much choice").

Seth

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Secretary Pacific Green Party of Oregon http://www.pacificgreens.org
Key id FDCEE733 = 5302 B414 64C4 6112 3454 E082 99F0 69DC FDCE E733