sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Starting and Stopping critical services when upgrades happen

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Paul Mahon <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Starting and Stopping critical services when upgrades happen
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:28:21 -0400

Our position for as long as I can remember is that services aren't
restarted automatically. Cast used to do this for a short period of
time, but there were many complaints, so it was removed. This is for
stability. If the program is running, restarting it may very well break
things. By having cast restart things behind your back you may have your
mail server go down without even knowing.