sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Anonymous vote processing

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: f.bridault AT fra.net
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Anonymous vote processing
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 10:19:24 +1200

HI all,

I'm sure there are many ways to vote anonymously. So I thought I'll add another one, how about through something like ledger, if not ledger itself. Ledger will show how many have votes but not whose wining until the voting has closed.

Though with emails we can keep it simple, but then encrypting requires change in habits and setup time as well.

Just an idea.

Duane

Flavien Bridault wrote:
Hi people,

I know that it is a bit late to discuss about our vote processing, in
this period of hard votes. But the point that I want to deal with can
still be achieved.

I indeed realized something, sorry if it comes very early. The anonymous
is in fact a good thing, because in this way, people are not influenced
during the vote period. And there will be no more threat against
families, friends, dogs, ravens, etc... ;-)
But I wonder, and some people already asked, how can we verify the vote
since if it is anonymous ?? I obviously have a entire trust for our
Evermost High Priest ;-) But he might not be PL forever, and anyway, I
already heard some people saying that votes will be faked and things
like that :-/ I really wish we don't fall into such debates, which will
surely occur if we keep this process as is.
My proposal would be to keep the anonymous vote during the vote period,
and then publish the list in the same time as the vote result. This way,
there will be no possible dispute. Obviously, this will assume that
anyone will know who voted for who after the vote, but this is the only
way I see. Anyway, did we really need to keep such secrets ? Are we not
enough responsible to assume our own vote ?

Thanks for your time :)