sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Anonymous vote processing

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <f.bridault AT fra.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Anonymous vote processing
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 17:23:07 +0200

Le vendredi 13 mai 2005 à 08:11 -0700, Eric Sandall a écrit :
> Quoting Flavien Bridault <f.bridault AT fra.net>:
> > Hi people,
> >
> > I know that it is a bit late to discuss about our vote processing, in
> > this period of hard votes. But the point that I want to deal with can
> > still be achieved.
> >
> > I indeed realized something, sorry if it comes very early. The anonymous
> > is in fact a good thing, because in this way, people are not influenced
> > during the vote period. And there will be no more threat against
> > families, friends, dogs, ravens, etc... ;-)
> > But I wonder, and some people already asked, how can we verify the vote
> > since if it is anonymous ?? I obviously have a entire trust for our
> > Evermost High Priest ;-) But he might not be PL forever, and anyway, I
> > already heard some people saying that votes will be faked and things
> > like that :-/ I really wish we don't fall into such debates, which will
> > surely occur if we keep this process as is.
> >
> > My proposal would be to keep the anonymous vote during the vote period,
> > and then publish the list in the same time as the vote result. This way,
> > there will be no possible dispute. Obviously, this will assume that
> > anyone will know who voted for who after the vote, but this is the only
> > way I see. Anyway, did we really need to keep such secrets ? Are we not
> > enough responsible to assume our own vote ?
> >
> > Thanks for your time :)
>
> I already send a list of those who voted to the list with each vote
> account[0]
> according to our voting procedure[1]. I'm also thinking of adding a
> requirement
> of a validly GPG signed (or encrypted if you prefer) e-mail with your vote,
> but
> I was going to wait until the flurry of votes are over so we don't change
> midstride.
>
> Currently forged votes are a little difficult anyways because I reply to the
> guru's address with their vote listed saying, "Noted, thanks. :)". So if you
> get a response with that and you didn't vote, let me know.
>
> (also, if somehow you didn't get a response to your vote let me know).
>
> -sandalle

You misunderstood me :/
I know well that the list of people who voted is published. But that
does not allow anyone to verify who wins the vote. ;-)
Who they voted for should be mentioned to avoid any dispute, that was
what I meant.

Flavien Bridault
Source Mage GNU/Linux - Disk Section Guru

irc: vlaaad
jabber: vlaaad AT amessage.be