sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Anonymous vote processing

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Anonymous vote processing
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 09:45:44 -0500

Quoting Flavien Bridault <f.bridault AT fra.net>:

Hi people,

My proposal would be to keep the anonymous vote during the vote period,
and then publish the list in the same time as the vote result. This way,
there will be no possible dispute. Obviously, this will assume that
anyone will know who voted for who after the vote, but this is the only
way I see. Anyway, did we really need to keep such secrets ? Are we not
enough responsible to assume our own vote ?
The point of requiring that the votes were anonymous is so that others were not
influenced by someones vote. I understand your concern and I find it alarming
that people would resort to forging votes, or even consider forging votes.

Perhaps another alternative would be to require votes to be gpg signed and
verified that way? I don't think requiring a GPG signature for the email that
the vote's on is necessarily a bad thing. It's not hard to acquire a gpg key.
Too bad we don't have the channel for the signing anymore. Perhaps we could add
it to the website?

Back to the topic, I think you've got a very valid point and it will not affect
the current voting process, nor will disclosing the results at the end affect
the votes of people during the election. It might displease some people, "Why
did you vote for him, I thought you were going to vote for me !?!" But that
happens. I'm in favor of the disclosure after the votes have ended. I think
it's a good thing, and I don't think it will hurt, since before we used to tell
the list anyway.

If the disclosure thing proves to be unliked, then I'd reccommend that we go to
gpg signing of the votes.
perhaps the process should go:
1. submit a key to the PL that you'll use to sign your vote with
2. sign (encrypt if desired) the vote email you're sending when voting occurs

Now that I think about it, I like the gpg signature thingy better than the
disclosure :)

Some things to think about during this especially lively voting session :)

(a little campainging :) )
Vote for me for ISO team lead :D

An ISO Team Lead Candidate,
David Kowis

--
One login to rule them all, one login to find them. One login to bring them all,
and in the web bind them.