sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] alternative grimoire layout

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] alternative grimoire layout
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 21:13:54 +0200

We add a new KEYWORDS variable to DETAILS that contains all the keywords
that apply to this spell. There will be an official list of keywords that
spells can use, no spell should use any other keyword.

Really good for searching.
On the other side we could only extend PROVIDES [1].
gaze provides X11-TERMINAL, gaze provides CONSOLE-EDITOR, gaze provides
FTP-SERVER, SSH-SERVER, ...
BTW, "gaze list-provides" or better only "gaze provides" could print all
"PROVIDES".

We already have gaze providers
$ gaze provides X11-SERVER
X11-SERVER:
xorg
xserver

It however doesnt print all the providers if given no parameters.

The impression I got for what he was asking was:
$ gaze list-provides
X11-SERVER
MAIL-TRANSPORT-AGENT

Yea, I thought exactly this.
I would prefer "gaze provides" (without list-) prints FTP-SERVER, SSH-SERVER, ... and next I could choose one of them and use it "gaze provides SSH-SERVER".

BTW, we are again working on source mage stats server and one of news is we provide "PROVIDES". :-)
Interesting, for example SYSTEM-LOGGER: metalog is 14, syslogd 8 and syslog-ng 4 times installed.
Just try: http://83.240.17.229/~babca/users/pr_detail.php

To this discussion:
Yes we can have hundreds of section but I would prefer hundreds of developers.
I do not see the difference if we have only cca 50 "developers" (p4 users | grep 2005 | wc).
Of course subtract "users with perforce access". Do you plan 1 developer to 3 or 4 sections?
Now we have 62 sections.

I do not like MAINTAINER entry because it didn't work. I do not believe it could be better.
And what about bugzilla? Of course our users could file a bugs agains not section but individual speels.
But again we have not so much developers. So this all is futile. All maintainers will have to maintain spells they do not use again.

--
Ladislav Hagara

University of Defence
Computer Science Department