sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] alternative grimoire layout

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: dave AT sourcemage.org
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] alternative grimoire layout
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:07:30 -0500

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 05:34:44PM +0200, Andrew ruskie Levstik wrote:
> > It might be better to do both the new sections which were suggested a
> > week or two ago, and add the keywords.
> >
> > If you want the keywords indexed for quick searching, the 'scribe
> > reindex' will take more time.
>
> OK let's say yes to this in a limited way... what emrys is prosposing
> are to many tiny sections... it wouldn't be a problem if we had subsections
> but we don't so let's try to keep it as clean as possible.

This may be a good compromise. I personally like emrys proposal,
and I think the idea of maintainer based sections is a large step
in the wrong direction, for most of the reasons already stated.
Maintainers come and go, keep the focus on ease of use for users, not
maintainers, etc.. also it smacks of narcisissm to me. I feel odd enough
having a wiki page. Having a section named after me would be downright
wierd.

> a) no environment sorting other than shell/X.
> b) keep it to class-apptype[-env] where env is [none|shell|x]
> c) we could use something along the lines of having
> MAINTAINERS back(my proposal below)
> d) only env sorted stuff should be sound themes, gtk themes etc... basicaly
> env-look(or whatever I thik -look is good since it coinsides with the
> websites
> kde-look, gnome-look) where env is [shell|x|gtk1|gtk2|kde|gnome|wm]
>
> Add a MAINTAINER file to each spell which would hold the following data:
> Primary_spell_Maintainer_name - email[ - ircnick/imcontactinfo]
> Secondary_spell_maintainer_name - email[ - ircnick/imcontactinfo]
> etc...

Having MAINTAINER back sounds like a far saner way to get the
maintainers what they want, as opposed to reorganizing the codex around
our names. I would also like to have KEYWORDS, or some way to do
multi-word gaze searching, I thought those were clearly good ideas.

> On another note:
> sorcery should printout on failures where one can report bugs.
> i.e.
> ****
> Problem encountered please go to:
> *http://bugs.sourcemage.org*
> And report it under the following Product-Section
> Product: codex
> Section: spell-section
> Spell: spellname
> ****