sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] alternative grimoire layout

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] alternative grimoire layout
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 14:06:32 -0500

On Apr 05, Seth Alan Woolley [seth AT positivism.org] wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 01:57:05PM -0500, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean. This wouldn't mean we keep the current 2 tier
> > system and replace grimoire with maintainer, it would mean stuffing a new
> > maintainer division in between grimoire and section, or alternately I
> > guess
> > doing maintainer/grimoire/section to let maintainers have full flexibility
> > on their own dev/test/etc. systems. In any case it'd mean making
> > everything in the system play nice with it. (This probably gives Andrew
> > palpitations, but again, I'm not really in favor of this one, primarily
> > because of all the spell moving it would periodically require.)
>
> Treat the maintainer name "jeremy_blosser" as a grimoire unto itself and
> sorcery handles it just fine. That's what I meant.

I know, but that would be the wrong way to do this (though it's a cheap way
to get it with the existing functionality).

For one thing it either means users have to scribe individual maintainers
or it means finding a new place to stuff the "real" grimoire name in there
for the user tarball creation process. And what does it mean for code
promotion for maintainers? We don't want to lose the devel->test->stable
distinction for maintainers, that's obviously something that's meant for
them, not users.