sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] alternative grimoire layout

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] alternative grimoire layout
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:33:46 -0700

> I like the possibility of doing:
> `gaze keyword arg1 arg2 ...` but the way to achieve it seems overkill to
> me. Why not simply improve gaze search so that it could take several
> arguments to look up in the long description of the spell? I'm no
> sorcery guru but it seems way simpler to implement that.

If we want the speed Arwed is implying this command will take, we're
almost certainly going to have to cache the results in a single file.

We cache the locations of spells with scribe reindex to make spell lookups
fast, digging around in all the grimoire sections for a spell takes longer
than grepping a flat file (grep is really really fast in comparison to
30+ readdir's).

In the interest of making scribe reindex not totally suck, can this
KEYWORD field please be greppable (no variable substitution).

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |