sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Alphabetic grimoire; was: alternative grimoire layout

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andrew \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Alphabetic grimoire; was: alternative grimoire layout
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 08:12:01 +0200

Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote :

> All,
>
> I was going to reply with lots of negative remarks to the entire
> "layout" thread, but thought better. Here's my suggestion: organize the
> spells alphabetically by the first letter of their name, with spells
> starting from digits forbidden. So, we'll have sections a, b, c, ..., z;
> no capital letters.
> It's not personalized, which is good (I find the entire discussion about
> going back to explicit maintainers pointless). It's not requiring
> changes in sorcery, also good. It makes known spells trivial to find,
> which is good for maintainers. It's very straightforward and easy to
> understand, yet another advantage.
> Finally, the advantage is that we can stop wasting energy on that subject.
>
> As a maintainer, I would benefit from two sorts of tools. First, I'd
> benefit from a tool which updates the spell automatically. Second, I
> would benefit from the tool which would tell me what spells need
> updating. I would like to see a local program similar to a
> distrowatch.com's chart with versions out of sync marked as such, and
> with an additional button: a button that says "update to new version and
> cast". This would make updates very easy and allow more people to test them.
> Two more tools would further improve maintainers' lives and make this
> role more approachable for users. One, creation of new spells. Not what
> we have today, but a tool that understands Java, Python, Perl, Ruby,
> autoconf-less spells with their standard install mechanism; the tool
> that after casting finds out about all dependencies and updates DEPENDS,
> etc. Two, I'd want the test farm back with prometheus running. Maybe
> with an option to run in chroot so regular users with spare CPU cycles
> could do the testing without hosing their system. Something like a
> prometheus-screensaver. Harmless but useful.
>
> Which of these problems is better served by a grimoire layout change? I
> thought so.
>
> Sergey.

I'd be happy to have quill extended with various stuff...
I do plan on adding a lot of other stuff in...
Like cvs supported spells and such but I simply can't find the time
to write the stuff in...

--
Andrew "ruskie" Levstik

For all the knowledge... || URL: http://ruskie.pixelcarnage.com
I will prevail... || ICQ: 321223361
If I fail nothing is left... || MSN: ruskie_0 AT yahoo.co.uk
All is lost... || Jabber: ruskie AT jabber.org
Never to be seen again... || Yahoo!: ruskie_0
Nevermore... || URL2: http://ruskie.dtdm.org

EtPan! - nicest email client I have seen -
http://libetpan.sourceforge.net/etpan

Key ID = 32FE2034
Key fingerprint = EF36 041B E2A5 4E6F 7B3E 6B45 C0F2 E234 32FE 2034