sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] alternative grimoire layout

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] alternative grimoire layout
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:54:40 -0700

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 01:03:42PM -0500, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> On Apr 05, Arwed von Merkatz [v.merkatz AT gmx.net] wrote:
> > The one drawback I see with this solution is that we lose the option to
> > browse
> > the grimoire easily with the shell/filemanagers, but a fast keyword search
> > makes up for that.
>
> A rant first, then an actual proposal for a solution...

<snip rant>

I agree with the rant unless there are reasons we do need to use our own
tool.

> Anyway, I understand totally the goal to make it easier for maintainers to
> maintain the small group of spells they use, though I agree with others
> that this will mostly result in several people that want to maintain the
> same core spells with other spells that only have some users sitting around
> in unmaintained. It will also result in a lot of turnover, since changing
> maintainers means moving the spell, not just updating a file entry.
>
> But there are still a couple of ways to achieve it along with the best of
> what we have now:
>
> 1) As already suggested, continue to sort the grimoire by a taxonomy, but
> add a MAINTAINER back to individual spells. The section maintainer wins
> if the spell doesn't have one, but if the spell has one it wins. Then
> go a step farther and create some guru-tools that make it easy for
> maintainers to grab just their own spells into a work area and go from
> there. This is the right place for new tools, stuff that just
> maintainers have to worry about. This avoids the turnover problem as
> well and is probably the right way to do it if we can figure out what
> tools we need for the maintainers.

We got rid of MAINTAINERS for a reason -- they were never accurate.

> OR
>
> 2) We could go ahead and sort the grimoire by maintainer, but do it like
> this:
>
> jeremy_blosser/mail-daemons/
> jeremy_blosser/mail-clients/
> jeremy_blosser/shell-utils/
>
> So each maintainer has their own area, but under that area it's still
> sorted a globally-defined way. People who maintain a ton of spells are
> going to want that kind of organization eventually anyway.
>
> Then we add an extra layer of logic to the tarball-building scripts or
> sorcery so that when users grab grimoires or web indexes are created,
> the maintainer part of the path gets stripped. They still just end up
> with mail-daemons/, shell-utils/, etc. If we needed we could have
> scripts stuff the maintainer path info back into each spell as a
> MAINTAINER variable as well so userspace can tell who maintains what.
> Regardless, the point is that the maintainer-based sectioning is *only*
> useful to maintainers and the backends, and is directly *not* useful to
> users, so it should only be visible to maintainers and the backend.
> That requires some work, but we're clever people here. Again, this is
> the right kind of place to spend the time creating new tools. This
> would still have a lot of turnover, though.

I like this method except it relies upon our treating maintainers as
separate grimoires when we edit spells as developers in perforce. That might
not be
a bad way of doing it.

> Neither of these precludes adding KEYWORDS and improving gaze's search
> abilities as well.

Of course.

> Of course the completely messianic way of doing this
> would be to store things by something like maintainer only and then let
> each user set their own sorting taxonomy based on keywords and have sorcery
> automatically sort their local copy of the grimoires this way, but I doubt
> any of us are that insane.

Also of course.