sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] x86-64 arch specfile not x86-64

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Michael Leo Brown Jr." <dmlb2000 AT excite.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] x86-64 arch specfile not x86-64
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 22:48:57 -0400 (EDT)

>What would the HOST variable be for each of the archspecs?

The same as before, my push for changing this is by specifying k8 to the
compiler, it knows the cpu is amd, which mine isn't, so I would hope that by
specifying x86-64 some amd optimizations wouldn't get in there...

>Im going to take this opportunity to make a plug for moving archspecs
>(at least new ones) to a spell. Everytime theres a new arch sorcery has
>to be updated and a new version released, quite often releasing a new
>sorcery for just an archspec is a big ordeal, furthermore outdated or
>incorrect archspecs are quite often a sore-spot for people with newer
>architectures who also cant use devel sorcery. So, I propose that future
>archspecs go into a spell and I can make sorcery look in multiple places
>for archspecs and use the spell location in preference to its own.

So would there be one spell to cast... you would choose the arch spec
and it would install a file somewhere that sorcery know where to pick it
up? ... is that about right or did you have something different in mind?

Also would this spell then have to be part of basesystem? or would sorcery
default to something generic if it doesn't find one?

- David Brown

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com