sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] x86/ppc/x86-64 test ISO available (test3) [INSTALL REPORT]

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Damien Mascord <tusker AT tusker.org>
  • To: Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] x86/ppc/x86-64 test ISO available (test3) [INSTALL REPORT]
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:29:48 +0800

Benoit PAPILLAULT wrote:

> Damien Mascord a écrit :
>
>> 1) snd_wavefront and some other .ko kernel module was not present on the
>> ISO or the kernel "copied" accross the live system, and hence generated
>> errors on boot.
>

> Can you tell me what needs to be enabled in kernel.config?

*SND_WAVEFRONT*=m

I'm not exactly sure what the other module that complained, sorry :(

Maybe we should modularize all the sound card modules? Or is that going
overboard ?

>> 4) Since the CD doesn't have a "boot through mode" (ie, boot to hard
>> drive by default, press a key to boot from CD), it would be great if the
>> installer could "eject" the CD upon first reboot
>

> Right. I though about this a long time ago. The main problem is that
> the installer would need to umount the CD before ejecting it and right
> now, it is not possible :-(

Perhaps we can copy Microsoft on this one, but do it in our initrd
loader instead?

1) Upon boot, the normal syslinux prompt comes up...
2) After a timeout, it goes to the SMGL initrd loader
3) Default option is to boot first default bootable HDD ?
4) After timeout, it boots the first HDD
5) Install continues :)

>> 7) /tmp has the suid bit set, which means that sorcery gets all funny,
>> and dies when you try to do a system-update or upgrade or whatever...
>> cleanse has a cow too, but can't seem to fix the suid bit set on the
>> /tmp directory. chmod -s /tmp fixes this issue...
>

> ? /tmp, as well as /var/tmp needs to have the suid and sgid bits.
> Otherwise, user A will be able to create and user B will be able to
> delete (he is not the owner of the file, but he has write permissions
> in the directory). What sorcery errors are reported?

Here is a transcript which will describe it easier than words :)

root@ordo:/# rm -rf /tmp/cleanse
root@ordo:/# cleanse
/tmp/cleanse has unknown permissions and ownership, replacing it
Fixing packages...
Pass 1 (bad lines)
Pass 2 (non-existant spells)
[CTRL-C]
root@ordo:/# chmod +s /tmp
root@ordo:/# cleanse
Fixing packages...
Pass 1 (bad lines)
Pass 2 (non-existant spells)
[CTRL-C]
root@ordo:/# rm -rf /tmp/cleanse
root@ordo:/# ls -ld /tmp
drwsrwsrwt 115 root root 2360 Mar 23 15:36 /tmp
root@ordo:/# cleanse
/tmp/cleanse has unknown permissions and ownership, replacing it
Failed to make temporary dir, this might be due to a security attack,
please check the permissions of /tmp/cleanse. Bailing out...
root@ordo:/# chmod -s /tmp
root@ordo:/# cleanse
/tmp/cleanse has unknown permissions and ownership, replacing it
Fixing packages...
Pass 1 (bad lines)
Pass 2 (non-existant spells)
[CTRL-C]
root@ordo:/# ls -ld /tmp
drwxrwxrwt 115 root root 2360 Mar 23 15:36 /tmp