sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] x86/ppc/x86-64 test ISO available (test3) [INSTALL REPORT]

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Damien Mascord <tusker AT tusker.org>
  • To: Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] x86/ppc/x86-64 test ISO available (test3) [INSTALL REPORT]
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:57:40 +0800

Benoit PAPILLAULT wrote:

> Hello,
>
> http://download.sourcemage.org/iso/testing/smgl-0.9.4-i486-2.6.11.2-nptl-test3.iso
>

> Those ISOs have been made with the stable grimoire (2005-03-15
> snapshot, just before test integration). Kernel has been updated to
> 2.6.11.2 and SATA drivers as well as USB devices should be supported
> out of the box (cdrom, keyboard).
>
> On the x86 ISO, syslinux has been downgraded to 2.11 to solve bug
> #8098 (waiting for test report on that issue from sandalle).

Hi,

I have just installed the x86 486 ISO. The installer is setup much more
nicely than last time I tried (about a year ago). Congrats on the
organization of the menus and the steps to install, it's quite clean now!

Now onto my issues that I had with it :)

1) snd_wavefront and some other .ko kernel module was not present on the
ISO or the kernel "copied" accross the live system, and hence generated
errors on boot.
2) g++ is showing version 0 while installing... this is quite weird, not
sure if it's a problem or not :)
3) At the end of resurect portion, there is a one line:
Spell is missing.

Which seems to indicate that some array processing in the bash is a bit
funny
4) Since the CD doesn't have a "boot through mode" (ie, boot to hard
drive by default, press a key to boot from CD), it would be great if the
installer could "eject" the CD upon first reboot
5) The enable services section is a bit confusing, especially since some
of the smgl services aren't enabled by default! Perhaps there should be
a "recommended" marker to say you really should start these services if
you want things to work... like network ! Also, short descriptions
would be nice :)
6) For some reason, eth0.dev wasn't correctly created, and when booting
the device didn't come up properly. Is it possible for the installer to
detect what ethernet devices are present, and auto-create some default
.dev files? which we then go and edit ?
7) /tmp has the suid bit set, which means that sorcery gets all funny,
and dies when you try to do a system-update or upgrade or whatever...
cleanse has a cow too, but can't seem to fix the suid bit set on the
/tmp directory. chmod -s /tmp fixes this issue...
8) Since openssh is an optional spell to install, I chose that, since I
would like to ssh into the box once installed (I only have 1 monitor,
and no KVM :)). After starting the box, telinit run sshd restart gives
the error:
sshd - provider for facility network not configured.

Other than the above things, it seems smooth :)

Cheers for your hard work!

Damien