sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] tablet and broken POST_REMOVE

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] tablet and broken POST_REMOVE
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:50:26 -0800

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 03:09:23AM -0500, Paul Mahon wrote:
> The problem Arwed was talking about is for people who cast the spell
> with the bad POST_REMOVE. Even if the spell is fixed now, the bad
> POST_REMOVE in tablet will be used.
>
> The spell from the real grimoire is located at $REAL_SCRIPT_DIRECTORY,
> and the spell from the tablet is at $SCRIPT_DIRECTORY.
>
> PRE_PRE_REMOVE is always run from the real script directory and can be
> used to correct the POST_REMOVE in the tablet. Not a nice solution
> though.
>
> There was a short discussion on IRC about allowing spells to have files
> like POST_REMOVE.<version>.SNAFU where that file would replace the one
> in the tablet if the tablet version is the version in the file name.

This could easily be done on scribe update so the SNAFU (i was
going to suggest REPAIR, although on irc I used a differed 6 letter
combination). The files could be removed after some period of time (say
6 months), which makes it so that way as long as someone scribe updates
within 6 months, regardless of whether they touched the spell they'll
get the repaired file.

The problem also applies to PRE_REMOVE, however the PRE and
POST_RESURRECT files will still have issues, they too can be repaired
by FOO.<version>.SNAFU files but only at resurrect time since repackaging
the archives is expensive.

Thoughts? Other ideas?

-Andrew