sm-discuss - Re: Updating Maintained Sections (Was Re: [SM-Discuss] udev.permissions)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Updating Maintained Sections (Was Re: [SM-Discuss] udev.permissions)
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:34:35 +0100

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 09:35:35AM -0500, George Sherwood wrote:
> I would like to 2nd what Flavien wrote. This has happened to me before
> in my sections resulting in spells being broke that I didn't know about.
> Not that a problem in the chat-sections could be as serious as in
> disk :). I know this has been asked before, but if a section is being
> maintained please send a message to the guru before updating spells.
>
> There a still many spells to be updated to BUILD_API=2 in the
> unmaintained sections if some one is looking for things to work on. I
> have been slowly working through some of them.

I agree, and it has actually been said before that maintained sections
should not be touched without getting the assent of the section
maintainer first.
The best process is probably to either catch the maintainer on irc or if
that doesn't work file a bug stating what you want to do and then wait
for the maintainer to either do it himself or tell you to go ahead with
it.
The two exceptions to this i can think of right now are BUILD_API 2
conversion and spell lowercasing, though those should be done in the
unmaintained sections first too.
Now that we have more and more maintained sections again we really need
to make it possible for the section maintainers to get their sections as
stable as possible, and that means going through them for changes, as
they know their sections best.