sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Installing SMGL to very low-spec machine (UPDATE)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ondra Tomecka <otom7630 AT lucy.troja.mff.cuni.cz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Installing SMGL to very low-spec machine (UPDATE)
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:42:28 +0200 (CEST)

Greetings,

Here is some update for those of you who are interested.

I had to use RH5.1 CD to boot, as I don't have any floppy anywhere, not to
mention that I don't have floppy drive anyway to write an image to it (you
see, I'm just too modern to use floppies) ;-)

Currently there is minimal working RH5.1 system installed, partially
upgraded to RH6.2 (kernel, glibc, some programs). At first I thought that
I can upgrade via rpm to some newer versions of necessary utilities, like
make, gcc or util-linux (to get mount --bind ability), but rpm in RH5.1
simply doesn't understand newer rpm format used in RH7+, and when I tried
to upgrade rpm I only managed to completely break the system so I had to
start over :( God bless compilation from source ;-)

Through the night the system compiled few things like make and zlib, and
right now it is compiling gcc, so I would be able to compile newer kernel
(RH5.1's gcc 2.7.3 looks like it cannot compile 2.6 kernel, and I didn't
try 2.4 yet as I didn't have sources handy).

For the compilation I created 128M swapfile in addition to 64M swap
partition, and /usr/src/ is mounted over samba share, so there is enough
space for it ;-).

All this is just so I can set up chroot for building the system, as I
would like to have as much of the chroot as possible on samba, but without
devfs I need mount --bind capability to have /dev available on samba. It
is windows share, so I cannot create special devices there :( And to get
either defvs or mount --bind I need newer kernel, for that I need newer
gcc, which I'm just trying to build. Doh!

Yes, it would be probably a lot faster to backup gaming machine to few
DVDs, install SMGL on it, build SMGL for this lowspec thing in chroot, and
then restore from backup, but I just want to make it work by itself. Call
it a challenge ;-) Or training in computer black magic ;-))))

Andy