sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Installing SMGL to very low-spec machine

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <a_bouter AT ezrs.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Installing SMGL to very low-spec machine
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:26:46 +0200

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:26:14 +0200 (CEST)
Ondra Tomecka <otom7630 AT lucy.troja.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Have anyone ever tried to install SMGL on something like P75, 4M RAM, 640M
> HDD? My mom got such computer and wants me to create web browser and mp3
> player from it ;-)
>
> I managed to install RH5.1 on it, but it doesn't boot from RH6.x or higher
> CD, as well as it doesn't boot from SMGL ISO from 20040414. Most probably
> because all those newer ISOs try to create a ramdisk too big to fit in
> memory :( I'm going to try to install SMGL over that RH5.1 when I get home
> from work, but I'm not sure I understood instructions for chroot
> installation correctly. I'll see in the evening.
>
> In the meantime I would appreciate any tips for such low-memory
> configuration
> ;-)

if the sourcemage iso doesn't boot, you could try one of those 1 floppy linux
distros and manually copy sourcemage to your hd and continue from there.

you could use the cached spells from another computer (chrooted install) as
"packages" for this box. That way you'd have a native smgl install.

dare i suggest dillo as browser for this box? since it's much lighter than
mozilla.

you also might want to put just a little more memory in there ;)