sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] mirrors and main/master sites

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <hgr AT vabo.cz>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] mirrors and main/master sites
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 03:43:51 +0200

> > It is the sorcery's job.
> Everything is sorcery's job, it should do your laundry too, I hate doing
> laundry, want me to come over and make some cake while we wait?

Why this insult? :-((
Why to change hundreds spells if required functionality can be written only
once and added into sorcery?

> > It this MIRROR doesn't contain sources, sorcery should CHECK Main Site
> Seeing as how most of the lists have the main site listed at the top,
> if you dont use netselect thats the next one it should use, problem solved.

Yes, you are right. Just trying devel sorcery.
Problem is the stable sorcery doesn't have this "trying next MIRRORS"
functionality yet.

> Checking is dumb, if its there you may as well download it too IMO
> (see my phone conversation).

Main Site can be very slow or we do not want to overload it.

> >If Main Site doesn't contain sources (trying to download old version)
> It wont download the old version because the file is named
> uniquely. Either its there or it isnt.

What about if it isn't there just now?
There was some bug and sources version x.y.z was removed from Main Site and
all MIRRORS and spell still contains x.y.z version.

> We do use fallback mirrors if all the other mirrors fail.

In this example neither Main Site nor MIRRORS contain it.
Why should sorcery try hundreds MIRRORS?

Have a nice ...
Going to holiday, some places without net.
- lace -