sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] mirrors and main/master sites

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] mirrors and main/master sites
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:22:53 -0700

> > If sources are located only on Master Site yet, trying all MIRRORS is
> > futile.
>
> The master site is (always?) listed in the mirrors.

Master site should be on the lists, if its not file a bug.

Theres really very little we can do on the sorcery side to fix the problem
of only the master site having the source (how are we supposed to
know?). However when sorcery expands urls it keeps the requested urls
(the ones listed in the spell) first. So a spell could list the main site
explicitly (rather than GNU_URL), of course the order gets re-arranged
the next layer down if netselect is used *sigh*.

Theres a very marginal benefit to adding a field in DETAILS like
"NO_URL_EXPAND=1" or something equally clever, then the spell could have
that bit set, and the SOURCE_URL set to a site known to have the source,
then once the source is reasonably distributed remove the NO_URL_EXPAND
tag. Of course I wonder how often it is the case that only one site in
the world has the source... (just looking at cost/benefit analysis)

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Sorcery Team Lead, Porting Team Lead | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |