sm-discuss - RE: Re: [SM-Discuss] mirrors and main/master sites

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: evraire AT tuwg.com
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: Re: [SM-Discuss] mirrors and main/master sites
  • Date: 22 Aug 2004 15:18:03 -0000

Hello,

Andrew said:
> Assuming we're talking about the case of wget-able files, we actually do
> a lookup first (see url_foo_verify) although I question the necessity
> of it, theres really very little difference between checking if a file
> is there and actually downloading it, its kinda silly to connect and
> see if something is there, disconnect and reconnect again.

I agree: there's really no point.

> I have the same sentiment about the whole FUZZ feature, where we try to
> poke around for alternate extensions to the file (Seth has been lobbying
> for its removal for a while now).

I think the idea is cool in theory, but in practice I doubt this is ever
really used. Anybody have any kind of clue how often this gets used?

Jonathan Evraire
evraire at tuwg.com

Message sent via http://toad-mail.net
Anti-spam notice, this message originated from IP Address: 69.70.196.119