sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] split gcc spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] split gcc spells
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:52:26 +0200

Hi,

instead of whining again about the split gcc spells I went ahead and
made really split ones :)
Just submitted all of them to devel (except for gcj, needs another test
cast to finish first). gcc now installs only the C compiler and the gcc
base stuff, the others (g++, g77, gcj, objc) install their respective
compilers and runtimes and register themselves with gcc, so it's
possible (as with a single gcc spell) to run gcc to compile all
installed languages.
The way the gcc build system works this makes compilation of all
compilers together take a little bit longer than when they were in one
spell (expect about a 50% increase in needed time), but I think the
added flexibility is worth that. Especially since you only have to cast
objc now if you want the Objective-C compiler instead of recompiling the
whole compiler collection.

So what's missing right now? gcj, which will be in in some hours and
ada, which will become a totally different spell. The gcc ada compiler
is quite broken in gcc 3.4.x, so I'll write a spell for the latest gnat
release, which is still the recommended ada compiler for linux (although
it doesn't optimize as good as the gcc one).

http://www.sourcemage.org