sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] 0.8.0-pre2 iso

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] 0.8.0-pre2 iso
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:05:01 -0800

> > sysklogd is not necessary IMO, we've talked about this before...
> yes, already talked, you can dispel it to use another one after install if
> you want.
this argument falls through because you could do the same thing with
anything and just say that it could be dispelled on install. Are we
going for a minimal system on install or not?

> > do glib and popt really need to be installed also?
> glib is needed by xdelta, popt by raidtools.
do we support xdelta right now?

> a install guide will appear in pre3.
> about unecessary spells, i'll try to find a way to automagically dispel
> these if user do not, for example, use raid, or jfs or whatever could be
> dispelled (and don't ask to dispel sustained spells, this is only for
> spells that can be simply dispelled - sysklogd will stay in too:)

perhaps you could have a menu at the end of the installer to get rid of
useless stuff? Or conversly keep the image.tar.bz2 small and then ask
what stuff the user wants/needs then that stuff could be unpacked
from cached copies, and the appropriate line could be added to
/var/state/sorcery/packages

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt AT sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot AT t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl, Porting Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |